Friday, November 6, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle



As you know if you've been reading this blog, we have an excessive number of cans of pureed pumpkin in our house. I've been scouring different sources for tempting ways to use up this pumpkin. When I saw a recipe for pumpkin gingerbread trifle in the latest issue of Gourmet magazine, I had to try it. Truth be told, though, if I hadn't had pumpkin in the pantry, I would have gone out immediately to buy some.




This dessert is truly as tasty as it looks, and not difficult to make. The gingerbread whips up easily, using only two bowls. The batter is fluffy and slightly curdled-looking, if you can imagine that, but the gingerbread itself is wonderfully tender and spicy. When I cut it into cubes, I had a hard time not scarfing it all right then and there.




The pumpkin mousse reminds me of very light and fluffy pie filling. Very light and fluffy. It has all those classic pumpkin pie flavors, but with a whipped texture.




The spiciness of the gingerbread and the sweet mellowness of the pumpkin mousse--that's the essence of fall. Don't wait until Thanksgiving to make it.

Oh, here's the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment