Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A New Take on Sweet Potatoes


sweet potatoes

Though many people would miss sweet potato casserole if it were not present on the Thanksgiving table, I have never been a fan of that dish. Sweet potatoes are already sweet and adding all that brown sugar and, worse, marshmallow, made a concoction much too sweet for my taste. I have, however, always enjoyed the way my mother-in-law prepares sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. She roasts them with hunks of Granny Smith apple, whose tartness is the perfect counterpoint.

Even though I’m not a big sweet potato eater, while I was shopping a few weeks ago I couldn’t stay away from the piles of orange- and purple-skinned tubers. I picked up a few, mulling over what I could do with them. Would all their natural sweetness hold up against the bold, spicy flavors of, say, chipotle?

I’m happy to say the experiment was a success. Try this with your turkey on Thursday.

Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ cup butter
¼ cup chicken broth, plus more if needed
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced, with 1 teaspoon extra sauce, more or less to taste
kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Cover the diced potatoes with water and bring the water to a boil. Boil until tender; drain. Return the potatoes to the pot; add the remaining ingredients and beat with a hand-held mixer or mash with a potato masher. Add a little more chicken broth if needed for smoother texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment